Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Diary of a pale girl at The Emmy's: Day 1

After a hellish week of work, it was finally time to hop on a plane and head to Cali. My brother and I flew out from JFK on Saturday afternoon. As I was getting ready to hand over my boarding pass, I noticed someone from The Sopranos. Star Sighting!

It was Joseph Gannascoli, who played Vito. Or, still plays Vito. I don't know. I've never watched The Sopranos, and actually only knew him as "the guy from The Sopranos who was on Celebrity Fit Club."

I know some people take comfort in having a baby on board a plane. I take comfort if there is a celebrity on board. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, it's such a relief.

Unless, of course, someone sneaks a liquid past the "tight security" at the airport. Thanks for nothing, JFK and Delta!

My brother had a woman sitting next to him who just whipped out her liter bottle of Dasani water twenty minutes into the flight. The flight attendants didn't care. So what if we were all going down in flames because of Dasani? I guess they were just happy about The Sopranos guy, too.

I had a freak sitting next to me. Perfect time to forget my headphones. Luckily, he only tried to make conversation once. I practically plastered my US Weekly to my face in an attempt to not have to look at him. Finally, after we were actually IN THE AIR, he moved to the window seat. All of my internal cursing for him to "move the f*** over" worked!

The flight wasn't too bad. I read my magazine. The freak slept on his tray table. After a half hour of turbulence, I was able to buy a pair of headphones. As luck would have it, an episode of TLC's What Not to Wear was just starting. Perfect! Love my Stacy and Clinton. Who knew that in 24 hours I would see Stacy London on the Red Carpet? NOT ME!

Once we landed, we headed right to the hotel. We could see the top of the Shrine Auditorium from the lobby. Nice.

After watching the Yankees lose to the Angels from the comfort of our hotel room(Ew, Yanks!), it was time to go to dinner with some friends.

Sharif picked us up and brought us to this wonderful Italian restaurant(of course I can't remember the name, but it was very good). Pregnant Mary was taking a bathroom break, so her husband, Chuck, talked my ear off while we waited for our table. My ears are still ringing!

Finally, Pregnant Mary emerged from the back of the restaurant. Did I mention that she's pregnant? She is. And please don't call her "tubby."

It was really great to catch up and have a relaxing dinner. It's always a good time with those friends.

Now, after dinner, it was time to find this white girl some suntan lotion. Anyone who knows me knows that I don't go in the sun. I'm practically an albino. Suntan lotion was a must if I was to stand in the sun for several hours on Sunday.

Did you know that they don't sell suntan lotion on Skid Row? Well, they don't. Make a mental note in case you ever find yourself there. Not the prettiest vacation spot, but it certainly isn't lacking in excitement.....especially when a homeless man walks up to your car and won't leave.

Holy shit.

But, no worries. Sharif got us out of there and found us a 7-eleven. Thankfully, they had toothpaste. I was genuinely thrilled because it was a small tube and not the family size the hotel gift shop was selling. Scam artists!

Well, after I had my Colgate safely tucked in my purse, I figured that God was trying to tell us to go back, brush our teeth, and gear up for the most exciting day of our lives.

Who am I to ignore that?

Tomorrow I will have stories so exciting that you may need a Valium after reading them. Scratch that. You WILL need a Valium. I'd start my search on Skid Row if I were you.

No comments: