Wednesday, September 16, 2009

After Hancock, it was time to head back to the hotel to regroup, recharge, and watch a few minutes of The Rachel Zoe Project. Oh, the drama!

That show is hilarious because it involves people that think forgetting nipple tape the day of an awards show is the most horrific thing in the history of the world. The horror! Forget homelessness, AIDS, poverty, and famine. If Eva Mendes doesn't have the right pair of shoes for a red carpet, well, expect Armageddon and take cover with some Valium. It is one of the funniest hours on television. And it isn't supposed to be.

After trying to figure out where to eat that wouldn't require a reservation, we settled on D4 Irish Pub and Cafe. Fabulous grilled veggie sandwich! Yummy. Our very nice waiter couldn't understand why we would spend so much money to see U2. *smack* Less tip for you, buddy. Kidding!

Then we were off to the show. Hailed a cab and dealt with some Soldier's Field traffic. Understandable. And just happy that we didn't have to deal with parking. So nice. Took about 20 minutes and then we were just walking with the masses. Weather was perfect and everyone was in a good mood.

We missed Snow Patrol, which wasn't a big deal. I liked their first album, but haven't really followed them since. Now it was just a matter of waiting for Bono and the boys.

The lights went down at 8:50 and Larry Mullen, Jr. walked out to his drum kit. AAHHHHH! I love you, Larry! Larry is my type of guy: he calls Bono on his b.s. and stays out of the spotlight. Plus, he's cute! And he seems to never age. Is he a robot?

The band played until 11:00, giving us new material from their latest album, as well as all-time favorites. It was a good mix, although I could live without ever hearing "Pride" or "Sunday Bloody Sunday" again. I'm sorry, but I've heard them since 1987. Yes, that's right. THE 80s. Gah, I'm old.

The crowd was fantastic. From the moment the lights went down, everyone was on their feet. Thank you! If I wanted to sit, I would have stayed in my apartment and listened to the cd (which was a suggestion from my father). People sang along and danced as only U2 fans can. There is always at least one guy at a U2 show that likes to pump his fist into the air. I don't understand it, but I observe it and laugh. All hail weirdos!

Well, that is recap of my fabulous Chicago getaway. This Sunday I am off to Gillette Stadium in MA to see the boys again. Hope the weather cooperates, as stadium shows don't provide cover. And I will GO OFF if it rains. True story.

More celeb-centered news to come!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Love the Chicago recap. Makes me want to go back already...minus the U2 concert. Sorry, I just have too many memories of being forced to watch their videos on tape as a small child while someone was babysitting me.

JP said...

Someone needs to get their head out of their butt. They are amazing live. You are bananas (but not in the way Zoe means).